App Tracking Transparency’s rollout date is getting closer and advertisers are getting mixed signals. That is, between SKAd and MMP’s installs. Why is it that the numbers don’t match? Is something wrong with your SDK integration? With your campaign configuration?
If you’re running the campaign through Smadex, everything is working as it should. The only difference is the SKAd data flow and when the postbacks are being factored in. Consider that with some MMPs you can have not one, but two instances that may cause delays on your SKAd postbacks:
- You first receive the postback from SKAd on your DSP
- You need to forward the SKAd postback to the MMP and then, they send it back adding the usual signals you receive now.
Here we have an example of one of our campaigns where we can catch a glimpse of how the delay is propagated:
- Blue Line: we receive the regular install attributed by the MMP (displaying only CTA installs for now)
- Light Blue Line: we receive the install from SKAd and we send it to the MMP
- Red Line: we receive the SKAd install back from the MMP (some MMPs answer in real-time while others take up to a day)
As you can see, you likely will have a difference between the installs received from SKAd and the deterministic CTA ones accounted for by the MMP. Each MMP is working on a different protocol and some, for example, are sending the postbacks once per day in batches.
As the campaign runs, the gap should close and the effects of the delay should have less and less impact on the overall results. If the numbers don’t match, we should be able to identify the missing events we should investigate and put in motion a quick adjustment to the campaign.
To put it in a nutshell, don’t get anxious. Work closely with your DSP to put a clear plan in motion. Make sure you are gaining all the insights you need to have the most complete understanding of what to expect for your campaign’s performance after ATT is fully implemented.
Still, have doubts? We are here to help. Reach out to our team to start running on SKAd with a clear framework.#ATT#IDFA#iOS14#SKAd